We aim to develop pupils’ abilities within an integrated Framework of Speaking & Listening, Reading and Writing. Pupils will be given opportunities to interrelate the requirements of English within a broad and balanced approach to the teaching of English across the curriculum, with opportunities to consolidate and reinforce taught literacy skills. At St Mary’s School we strive for children to be a ‘Primary Literate Pupil’.
By the age of 11 we aim for children to be able to:
- read and write with confidence, fluency and understanding, orchestrating a range of independent strategies to self-monitor and correct
- have an interest in books and read for enjoyment
- have an interest in words and their meanings, developing a growing vocabulary in spoken and written forms including on screen
- understand a range of text types and genres – be able to write in a variety of styles and forms appropriate to the situation including digital technology
- be developing the powers of imagination, inventiveness and critical awareness
- have a suitable technical vocabulary to articulate their responses.